Class Notes (837,488)
Canada (510,274)
Philosophy (120)
34-129 (19)
Lecture 3

Philosophy 34-129 Lecture 3: Lecture Notes on Feminism, Religion, Relativism & Moral Criticism

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Department
Philosophy
Course
34-129
Professor
Mark Letteri
Semester
Fall

Description
Ross • Takes Kant’s, makes it more accessible • Ex. When we make promises, we don’t make calculations on consequences • We act more spontaneously • You don’t have one rule, you have many rules, therefore many obligations (ex. obligations towards family, life partners, team players, friends, employers, neighbours) • Various interpersonal relations  various interpersonal obligations • Prima facie duties: general (if rules apply, depends on situations) and conditional • Actual duties: specific and binding o Choose which obligation is first priority • Role of context and “considered opinion” • Conflict of duties • Intuition and discretion • Rules of duties: o Do no harm MacIntyre • Patriotism (Devoted to your nation) • You must only think of your duty, no exceptions • Patriotism: virtue or vice? (vice) • Devotion to one’s nation as such in its concreteness • Morality: impartial, abstract • Liberal morality: rational rules, neutral, “anti-social” • “where and from whom” I learn morality • I find my happiness in a particular community • Loyalty to community = virtue • Liberal morality: no limit to criticism  danger • Communitarian approach: some permanent exemptions  moral risk • Communitarian approach: reciprocity (motivation) Held • Universal not gender-neutral “universality” of ethics • Male: reason/public/form-human • Female: emotion/private/matter-nature • Maternal care and household (a motherly model of how live a moral life
More Less

Related notes for 34-129

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit