Psychology
Course
46-333
Professor
Kenneth Hart
Semester
Winter

Description
Lecture 9 on Cognitive Psychotherapy Cognitive Therapy Video - Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy for Addictions (Albert Ellis, PhD)  Focus: irrational beliefs  The client might have an unspecified personality disorder, ADD, and possibly substance abuse/dependence  Try to identify the patient's goal and help him/her to identify their problems  The therapist's self disclose  the patient is more likely to disclose about themselves  Recognition of irrational beliefs  Interpretation of irrational beliefs based on family history from the therapist  therapist explains the ABC process to the client o A: Attributions of self consciousness o B: behaviour  What to do about it (disputing irrational beliefs) o Client responses with tangential answer, then therapist refocuses back on disputing  Three musts: I must treat you well, you must treat me well, the world must treat me well  Hypothesizes irrational beliefs, disputes them, suggests alternative rational belief, challenges rational beliefs ("why did I never do that?")  Client thinks emotional upset is an excuse of drinking  Reviews negative consequence of the problems  Attributes the problem as the problem itself, the problem is not about the person  Main problem is the self-downing, therapist emphasizes the unconditional self-acceptance in the client Video - Systems of Psychotherapy (Judith S. Beck, PhD
More Less

Related notes for 46-333

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit