Canada (494,452)
Psychology (550)
46-430 (52)
Habetler (52)

personality disorders 2

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Windsor

Chapter 13: Personality Disorders  Personality disorder (PDs): a heterogeneous group of disorders that are coded on axis II of the DSM. They are regarded as long-standing, pervasive and inflexible patterns of behaviour and inner experience that deviate from the expectation of a person’s culture and that impair social and occupational functioning (some but not all cause emotional distress)  An actual personality disorder is defined by extremes of several traits and by the inflexible way these traits are expressed  They are often rigid in their behaviour and cannot change it in response to changes in the situation they experience  Individuals would not be diagnosed as having personality disorders unless the patterns of behaviour were long-standing, pervasive and dysfunctional  Often co-morbid with axis I disorders Classifying Personality Disorders: Clusters, Categories and Problems  The reliability of personality disorder diagnoses have improved because of 2 developments o The publication of specific diagnostic criteria o The development of structured interviews specially designed for assessing personality disorders  Test-rests reliability is also an important factor for evaluation  It is often difficult to diagnose a single, specific personality disorder because many disordered people exhibit a wide range of traits that make several diagnoses applicable  Personality disorders can be construed as the extremes of characteristics we all possess  (Livesley, Schoroeder, Jackson and Jang) personality disorder is a failure or inability to come up with adaptive solutions to life tasks... o To form stable, integrated and coherent representation of self and others o To develop the capacity for intimacy and positive affiliations with other people o To function adaptively in society by engaging in prosocial and cooperative behaviours Assessing Personality disorders C h a p t e r 1 3 : P e r s o n a l i t y D i s o r d ePage 1  Many disorders are ego-syntonic, that is the person with a personality disorder is unaware that a problem exists and may not experience significant distress  The disorders may need to be diagnosed via clinical interview led by trained professionals  Although clinical interviews are preferable, researchers often rely on self-report measures when assessing personality disorder symptoms Narcissistic Personality Disorder  Have grandiose vie
More Less

Related notes for 46-430

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.