4 Pages

Department
Social Work
Course Code
47-204
Professor
Kelly Ann Spezowka
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Lecture 7 204 September 28, 2017
Liberal Paradigms
Liberalism(s)?
- Instead of one unified theory of liberalism, there
- are multiple forms of liberalism
- They all agree that the freedom of individuals should
- be the foundation of society, but they disagree on:
o what is meant by “freedom” and “equality”
Which determines what kinds of governmental intervention are deemed
necessary and acceptable to promote “freedom” and “equality”
Classical Liberalism
- Has much in common with Conservatism
o “Freedom” = freedom to compete in the free market economy (capitalism); promotes
“laissez faire” capitalism as the ideal economic system
o Equality = equality of responsibility = everyone follows the same rules (laws)
o Inequality (in resources, wealth, etc.) is a natural result of competition under capitalism
and is a natural and accepted part of society
Reform Liberalism
- is most commonly understood as “liberalism” today
- Agrees with classical liberalism in that promotion of
- individual freedoms should be the priority of a society
- Differs from classical liberalism in that:
1. It acknowledges that unrestrained capitalism can be harmful
2. Governmental intervention can be a positive thing to address the most harmful
aspects of capitalism
Example: exploitation of labour (child labour, unsafe work conditions,
inadequate compensation for labour, etc.)
3. Equality in classical liberalism just means equality of responsibility (to follow the law)
whereas equality in reform liberalism means equality of opportunity
Liberalism & Nature of Human Beings
- People are naturally moral and rational
- Human nature is dual, in that, people are driven by:
o Egotism (self-interest)
o Altruism (concern for others)
- If people are provided with:
o Equality of opportunity
o Freedom from unnecessary social intervention, then they can provide for themselves
- Differs from conservatism in that society is viewed as being more than the sum of its parts
- Individuals interact with each other to promote their own individual interests, but there is also a
collective social interest
- Well-being of the individual cannot be considered apart from the well-being of society
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture 7 204 September 28, 2017 Liberal Paradigms Liberalism(s)? - Instead of one unified theory of liberalism, there - are multiple forms of liberalism - They all agree that the freedom of individuals should - be the foundation of society, but they disagree on: o what is meant by freedom and equality Which determines what kinds of governmental intervention are deemed necessary and acceptable to promote freedom and equality Classical Liberalism - Has much in common with Conservatism o Freedom = freedom to compete in the free market economy (capitalism); promotes laissez faire capitalism as the ideal economic system o Equality = equality of responsibility = everyone follows the same rules (laws) o Inequality (in resources, wealth, etc.) is a natural result of competition under capitalism and is a natural and accepted part of society Reform Liberalism - is most commonly understood as liberalism today - Agrees with classical liberalism in that promotion of - individual freedoms should be the priority of a society - Differs from classical liberalism in that: 1. It acknowledges that unrestrained capitalism can be harmful 2. Governmental intervention can be a positive thing to address the most harmful aspects of capitalism Example: exploitation of labour (child labour, unsafe work conditions, inadequate compensation for labour, etc.) 3. Equality in classical liberalism just means equality of responsibility (to follow the law) whereas equality in reform liberalism means equality of opportunity Liberalism & Nature of Human Beings - People are naturally moral and rational - Human nature is dual, in that, people are driven by: o Egotism (self-interest) o Altruism (concern for others) - If people are provided with: o Equality of opportunity o Freedom from unnecessary social intervention, then they can provide for themselves - Differs from conservatism in that society is viewed as being more than the sum of its parts - Individuals interact with each other to promote their own individual interests, but there is also a collective social interest - Well-being of the individual cannot be considered apart from the well-being of society
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit