Pathology in Sport Med. L2 06/10/2013 17:28:00
- pathology: study of mechanism of injury to cells, tissues, and organs
as well as structural changes by altered health.
- Etiology: cause of a pathology
- Pathogenesis: mechanism of a pathology
- Morphological: structural alterations/changes
- Functional consequences: clinical signs/symptoms (observable vs
Function of a NA+/K+ pump: creates the osmotic balance/ionic gradient
in a cell. Maintains the resting potential of cells. 1/3 ATP is used for this
Review of cell functions:
1) Nucleus—essential for cell functioning. DNA, RNA, and proteins
2) Cytoplasm—a) hyaloplasm/cytosol (environmental fluid)
b) cytoskeloten (structure to cell, movement and
← 3) Rough Endoplasmic Retinaculum—prepares proteins for export.
← 4) Smooth ER—break down and synthesis of stero