Psychology
Course
PSYC-2400
Professor
Kelley Robinson
Semester
Fall

Description
Social Psychology I 11/09/2013 2:57:00 PM Are we driven more by who we are, or by what’s going on around us? Dynamic process between personality and environment:  Choose to put yourself in one situation due to your personality  Be in the situation and remove yourself due to your personality  Consistency: is this behaviour normal or abnormal? Ex: multicultural group trapped in small space (elevator)  Quantify the situation (factors affecting): o experiencing close physical proximity, heat, uncertainty, danger, loss of control, claustrophobia, anticipation, hunger, panic…etc. o personality characteristics; norms in a culture vs. individual differences in how to deal -> changes in personality (i.e. someone taking control when they are normally introverted around strangers) Fundamental Attribution Error:  Individualist slant on people being in tune with their own behaviours or being responsible for their own successes or failures  Judging someone -> what did you do, what did you think; did anything change?  Factors affecting (quantifying) -> situational or personality?  Open mind + give benefit of the doubt o Tolerance + own psychological well-being The Power of the Situation Film: Discovering Psychology Chapter 2: Methodology  How we run experiments/correlational studies  How we draw information/conclusions from them  Facts/statistics + research ethics -> benefits outweigh the costs?  Research methods = broccoli of psychology  Foundation to base off of Goals of Social Psych Research  Description (trying to describe what’s going on -> understanding is not endgame) Social Psychology I September 11 , 2013  Causal analysis (does A cause B? does a cramped elevator cause panic?)  Theory building (is this [the cramped elevator] why people would act this way? Fight or flight? + freeze response) o Psychological threat (exam anxiety) -> what do you do?  Study hard OR procrastinate OR sit in front of the computer and do not do anything -> 3 coping methods (theories)  Application (developing + examining intergroup interactions + describe observations after understanding) -> how would we apply this to promote intergroup harmony? Is Social Psychology Really a SCIENCE?  Scientific American blog (Melanie Tennenbaum article: Psychology’s brilliant, beautiful, scientific messiness)  the only reason we can defend psychology as a science is because of the quantifiable observations + measurements (same as a physicist or biologist) Science Advances by Hypothesis Testing  It’s empirical, it develops slowly (over time) o Not one study = all answers; piece by piece incorporating past studies  Hypothesis: based on observation + theory o Stage where common sense + intuitions + hunches can be really informative  i.e., “why am I attracting the wrong type of person? = empirical question  theories -> opposites attract? How are you presenting yourself? What are you putting out there that makes people attracted? o Test: correlational or experimental -> need to operationalize variables  Critically important to operationalize your variable  Does playing violent RPGs correlate to aggression + violence in real life? Social Psychology I September 11 , 2013  Are women or men more aggressive? -> operationalize different criteria + ways to be aggressive  we cannot observe attraction, no shared understanding, no scientific evidence to physically and objectively measure attraction -> BUT we can still figure it out o What are we looking for? What are we trying to measure? -> replicate the observations + define  Observing body l
More Less

Related notes for PSYC-2400

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit