Religion And Culture
Course
REL-4940
Professor
Grant Wainikka
Semester
Fall

Description
I read through all the threads on the final exam and although some of you posted very helpful notes (of which I am extremely thankful), no body posted a direct comparison of the three religions. I went to a few websites to get a better idea of the major themes/topics when comparing the religions and here is a basic guideline that I think will be helpful to you when you study. For now, I am going to just put the outlines but hopefully by tomorrow, I will update my post with more detailed notes on each point. For each of the points, I will first mention Islam, then Judaism, and finally Christianity in that respective order. [I typed this in Wordpad, so excuse my grammar and spelling mistakes] Basics: - The adherents are called Muslims, Jews, and Christians - There are 1.3 billion Muslims, 14 million Jews and 2 billion Christians nd th - Islam is the 2 largest, Judaism 12 and Christianity the current largest religion in the world - Major concentrations are in the Middle east, and South East Asia for Islam; Israel, Europe and USA for Judaism; Europe North and South America, rapid growth in Africa for Christianity - Sacred texts: Qur’an (Koran) for Islam, Bible (Old Testaments) for Judaism, Bible (Jewish Bible + New Testament) - Other written authorities include the Hadith for Islam; Talmud, Midrash and Responsa for Judaism; Church fathers, Church councils, papal decrees (Catholic only) for Christians - Religious law include the Sharia for Islam; Halakhah for Judaism; Canon Law for Christianity - The clergies include the Imams for Islam; the Rabbis for Judaism; Priests, ministers, pastors and bishops for Christianity - House of worship: Mosque for Islam; Synanogue for Judaism; church, chapel and cathedral for Christianity - The main day of worship: Friday for Islam; Saturday for Judaism; Sunday for Christianity History: - Date founded: 622 CE Islam; Judaism apparently is unknown (correct me if im wrong); c. 33 CE Christianity - Place of foundation: Saudi Arabia for Islam; Palestine for Judaism and Christianity - Founder of the religions: Muhammad for Islam; Moses/Abraham for Judaism; Jesus for Christianity - Original languages: Arabic for Islam; Hebrew for Judaism; Aramaic, Greek for Christianity - Early expansion: with in 12 years, entire Arabian peninsula; within 100 years, Islam stretched from the Atlantic to China (Islam); there was little expansion for Judaism, mostly confied to Palestine (Judaism); within 60 years, churches in major cities in Palestine, Turkey, Greece and Rome, Entire Roman Empire for 4th century (Christianity) - The major splits: Shia/Sunni split (650 CE) for Islam; Reform/Orthodox 1800s CE for Judaism; Catholi
More Less

Related notes for REL-4940

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit