SOC-1101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 36: Canadian Human Rights Act, Pierre Trudeau, Civil Marriage Act

41 views2 pages

Document Summary

Same-sex marriage in canada: the case of everett. Mr. klippert"s sentence triggered a public debate in canada over homosexuality and whether gay men should be imprisoned for their sexual activities. In 1969, the federal liberal government instituted sweeping reforms of. Pierre trudeau, justice minister at the time, stressed the importance of individual freedom in the context of sexuality. "it"s brining the laws of the land up to contemporary society i think. I think the view we take here is that there"s no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation. I think that what"s done in private between adults doesn"t concern the criminal code. When it becomes public this is a different matter, or when it relates to minors this is a different matter. " Key events in sexual minorities movements in canada. 1981 sexual minorities confront police as they raid the bathhouses in toronto and 300 people are arrested.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers