Lecture 7.docx

8 Pages
Unlock Document

Western University
Anatomy and Cell Biology
Anatomy and Cell Biology 3319
Michele Barbeau

Lecture 7 Diencephalon  2/10/13 Textbook: 385­387 Diencephalon Objective: Know the major subdivisions of the thalamus, their main connections and primary function Describe the location and major functions of the hypothalamus and epithalamus (pineal gland)  Diencephalon:  Separated into the: Thalamus The internal medullary lamina is Y­shaped white matter that separate the thalamus nuclei into  three parts: The anterior nuclei The medial group including the medial dorsal  nucleus Large lateral nuclear group Hypothalamus Epithalamus (pineal) Subthlamus (includes subthalamic nuclei which are apart of the basal ganglia circuit back to the  cortex Around the cerebral cortex there is a layer of superficial gray matter This is a very important mass of tissue to do cognitive function (connections between each  region of the cerebral cortex) However we need a structure to give information from the interior part of the brain to the  exterior part of the cerebral cortex, and this is where the thalamus comes into play Remember the basal ganglia is made of the putamen, globus pallidas and caudate nucleus  The deep structure within the brain is the thalamus with nuclei on the left and right side  (bilateral) 1 ACB 3319 Lecture 7 Diencephalon  2/10/13 Anatomy of the Medial (midsagital) Surface of the Brain:  The Corpus Callosum connects the left side of the brain to the right side of the brain  Underneath the corpus callosum is the fornix Underneath the fornix is the thalamus  The right thalamus is connected to the left thalamus through the inter­thalamic adhesion  The left and right thalamus are separate from each other  The hypothalamus is underneath the thalamus  The hypothalamus is connected to the pituitary for endocrine function  The epithalamus is at the back of the thalamus Inside the thalamus  there are various sub­nuclei with acronyms and names based on the  locations   The third ventricle separates the two halves of the thalamus, while the two halves are connected  by the interthalamic adhesion  Fornix Corpus callosum Interthalamic adhesion Thalamus u a h Pineal o gland y H Pituitary Midbrain Medulla Pons oblongata Flow of Information in the Brian via Thalamus: The thalamus is where all the fibers in the brain go to All information passes through/relays through the thalamus The thalamus is like union station in Toronto  2 Lecture 7 Diencephalon  2/10/13 The thalamus processes the information and organize the information and amplify or tone down  the signal Typical pathway of sensory information  All ascending fibers from subcortical regions including basal ganglia and retina must synapse in  a thalamic nucleus before reaching the cortex All sensory information except olfactory information (sense of smell)  Descending information from the cortex (motor response) does not synapse in the thalamus  Thus it can be said sensory information travels through the thalamus, but motor information does  not synapse within the thalamus  Thalamus All ascending fibers from subcortical regions, including Descending tract basal ganglia and passes lateral to retina (CN II), must thalamus as internal synapse in a thalamic capsule nucleus before reaching the Brain Stem cortex….. a relay station. Skin Spinal Cord Muscle Categories of Thalamic Nuclei: Modality Specific to primary cortical area, sensory and motor Relaying to the cortex a specific sense or motor function Association Nuclei don’t have specific relay of motor or sensory information but do receive  information that goes to the cerebral cortex (anterior, LD, LP, MD and pulvinar) Non­Specfic Nucleic (reticular to thalamic for arousal and intralaminar group to all areas for  cortical arousal Reticular maintain a state of arousal  3 ACB 3319 Lecture 7 Diencephalon  2/10/13 Thalamic Anatomy: T ha l a m oc ort i c a l Ra di a t i ons Ce nt ra l s ul c us Int e rna l m e dul l a rl a m i na Int ra l a m i na r nl e i A nt e ri ornuc l e i MD LD LP VA P ul vi na r VL M e di a l ge ni c ul a t e body G l obus pa l l i da s VPL VPM A udi t ory pa t hw a y input Re t i c ul a r nl e us Ce re be l l a r L a t e ra l ge ni c ul a t e body (pul l e d ba c k, i nput O pt i c t ra c t a rous a l ) S om e s t he t i c – body S om e s t he t i c - he a d we are looking at the left side of the thalamus, but all of the nuclei are also contained in the right  thalamus Modality Nuclei: Information about sound enters through the medial geniculate body (sense) Optical information enters though lateral geniculate (sense) Somatosensory information from the rest of the body enters the VPL (sense) Somatosensory information from the head and neck enter in the VPM (sense) Information from the globus pallidas enters the VA (motor) Information from the cerebellum enters the VL, which smooth’s out muscle movements (motor) Association Nuclei 4 Lecture 7 Diencephalon  2/10/13 The anterior nuclei is connected to a yellow gyrus which is the singulate gyrus, which is  involved with the limbic system (emotional response). This is an association nuclei involved in  emotional processing
More Less

Related notes for Anatomy and Cell Biology 3319

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.