Complex Sentences and Transformations
Information about the complements permitted by a particular head are included in the lexicon
This is called subcategorization
That/whether/if are complimentizers. They are the only three we're working with.
– NP – [the man] and [the dog]
– VP – [eat fish] and [talk about the trip]
– PP – [up the stairs] and [through the door]
• The basic sentences of a language are derived
by phrase structure rules.
• These are called deep structures
• We never pronounce deep struc