Lecture 4 – Biodiversity
Most recent common ancestor (MRCA) for a given group(s), given a phylogenetic
- MRCA African Great Apes = Gorillas
- MRCA Great Apes = Orang-utans
- MRCA Apes = Gibbons
- MRCA primates = Lemurs
- MRCA mammals = Monotremes
- MRCA vertebrates = Jawless fish
- MRCA all life = LUCA
Why the idea that “humans are descended from chimps” is inaccurate.
- Humans are not descended from chimps.
- Humans and chimps share an MRCA
- Which branched off into humans and chimps along two separate evolutionary
Order of main branching events in tree of life (dates not testable).
- see slide show
Cause of global catastrophe associated with mass extinction 65 mya.
- Meteor Impact
Relative species richness of protostome vs. deuterostome animals
- Protostome: Mouth developed before anus
- Deuterostome: Anus developed before mouth
- There are MANY more protostome compared to deuterostome
Why some traditional groupings of organisms (“reptiles”, “fish”) do not reflect