Lecture 9 – Key Points
- Inuits diet: high concentration from eating
high on the food chain and long lived animals
- This is bioacculumation
- Polar cell picks things up in the atmosphere and dump it
down further north.
- Whatever is in the air will become concentrated when
what comes out.
- This is global distillation
Polar Vortex – concentrates pollutants
Rate of incorporation > rate of breakdown + excretion
Fatsoluble compounds, such as DTT, bioaccumulate in
the tissues of organisms. As animals at higher trophic levels
eat organisms lower on the food chain, the latter’s load of
toxicants passes up to each consumer. DDT moves from zooplankton though various types of fish, finally becoming highly concentrated in fish
eating birds, such as ospreys.
- If you can bioaccumulate a little bit at each trophic level, it will increase
Warm fronts create warm air over cold air
inversions which prevent mixing and trap
- Related to industrial smog
- But comes from burning petroleum (cars and trucks)
- This is more of what happens in Los Angeles
- N emited from exhaust
- It can react with hydrocarbons in the atomsphere.
Long carbon chains with a peroxyacyl nitrates at the
- This can cause respiratory issues
- It can make acid rain when combined with water
- Nitrogen dioxide can have one oxygen taken off by UV, and the oxygen atom
- Stratisfied Ozone is good to block UV light - Ozone down at surface can interact with things at the surface. It reacts
with almost anything, damage plants, respiratory problems.
- So far left and far right are the most damaging
- The fact that light is needed and exhaust, it is most when you have inversion
during the day.
- So if the inversion happens at night, the nitrogen dioxide will build up over night
and as soon as the sun comes up, smog begins.
- We need a scale to measure the potential
harm of things, so this one is the loss of
days of life expectancy
- This only looks at humans and only
things that are lethal to humans. That is
what is wrong with it.
- We need a standardized scale instead of
just saying something is dangerous or
- Is 1607 a lot? Not sure until you compare it.
- Homicide is 93
- Quantifiying risk figure 19.13
- In a car we feel we are in control and if a
plane crash happens, it is more visible on
- Guilty until proven innocent
- The other definition is used in medicine, in
anything. It doesn’t have to be a substance.