Lecture 03 - January 21.docx

5 Pages
Unlock Document

Western University
Business Administration
Business Administration 2257
Baldwin Wallace

Lecture Three: January 21 Case study due next week! Clicker questions: *These capital assets are not depreciated or amortised: Goodwill and land *$12000 for 5 years – residual is 1200. If 40% declining balance what is depreciation expense in 08? 4800 *120,000 for 5 years – residual is 12,000. If straight line, depreciation is 21,600 and accumulated depreciation is 64,800. Liabilities  Liability: o  Current liability: o Expected it will be satisfied within 12 months o Accounts payable, wages payable, unearned revenue, etc.  Long-term liability: o Expected it will take more than 12 months to pay off o What do we have to pay in the next 12 months? That goes into current liabilities o “Current portion of long term debt”  this bit is the next 12 months  Contingent liability: o May not know the amount or if you even have a liability, but you may have it o You think you might have it, but you’re not sure of timing or amounts. o Principle of conservatism – put in the accounting statement if there is a probability of there being a claim on our economic resources  I.e. if you think you may be sued  Liabilities and GAAP o Valuation o Recording o Disclosure  Three characteristics of a liability o Requires the sacrifice or use of resources o Is unavoidable o Results from past transactions & economic events  Value and present value o Exception – current liabilities  Disclosure o Segregated by main class or category o Current and long-term liabilities  Time value of money o Future value of a specified amount o Present value of a specified amount o Present value of an annuity o Future value of an annuity  Why would we want to know what these values are?  Compare: o $100 on January 1 or $100 on February 28h st th o $100 on January 1 or $200 on February 28  How do you calculate these values? Future value of money  Future value of cash flows o Amount of money you will receive in the future by investing a specified amount today at a specified interest rate o Great aunt leaves you $5000. If you invest at 4%, what is the future value? o F.V = 5000 * (1+i)  i = interest rate, n = number of years o 5000 * (1 + 0.4) o 5000 * 1.125 o 5625 o *You will be given the interest rate o *These numbers were slightly rounded. This makes calculations much better o *Also just use dollars – 50 cents and up.  Present value of cash flows o The value of money that will be received at some point or points in the future o What is the value of $1,500 today if Anne agrees to pay it to me in 3 years -assume i=5% o P.V = 1500 * (1/(1+i) 3 o 1500 * (1/1.05) o 1500 * (1/1.157625)  professor made this 1.158 o 1500 * .864 o 1296 o *If you’re going to get $1,500 three years from now, the amount you get now is less o *On the tests, you have to know how to use the formula, but the time frame will be compressed so the question doesn’t make you hate this class  Present value of an annuity o The value today of a series of cash flows (money) received or paid at equally spaced intervals in the future o For example:  Your trust fund payments - $900 annually for 3 years with a discount rate is 3%  Page 439 table 9-4  P.V = 900 * 2.829  2,546  *Midterm or final will actually be given the factor  *Interested amount should be less than just 900 * 3 years  *Use this to figure out financing recommendations  Lease payments - $8,000 annualy
More Less

Related notes for Business Administration 2257

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.