Dec 3, 2012 • He only had power for a year so
Alexander:356-323 • He can only bring half of his army
• Hellenistic Era. because he must keep the other
• Very charismatic guy. half in Macedonia to maintain
• Always carried the Iliad with him. peace.
• Looked up to Achilles, wanted to • He brought 50k of soldiers, he was
be like Achilles. There wasn’t a lot of money to pay
HowdidheManageHisEmpire? the soldiers.
• When he died it was the end of the • Its important that he meant to
Greek period. STAY and conquer. The Persians
didn’t realize this; neither did his
• Hellen = Greek. own soldiers.
• Hellenistic = Influenced by the
Greeks. • The strategy was to attack before
• At the age of 21 Phillip II (his the persians can be gathered
father) died. together.
• If he dealt with them individually,
• After Phillip II was assassinated it then he’s pretty much fucked.
was unsure if Alexander was going
to be king. • As soon as he entered they
• Even if he did become the king, it attacked and tried to capture
was uncertain if he will have the them.
• He conquered all the harbor cities
support of all the Macedonians. in 30 months.
• He did get the throne but it was
very weak security.
• Someone told him that he is going Gaugamela
to have to give up half of his • At Gaugamela the persian king
finally gathers a large fighting
empire. force to fight Alexander.
• All the people Phillip conquered
started revolting. • Alexander is very outnumbered but
• His advisor told him he can’t leave still he did well and the king fled.
Macedonia because if he leaves • The king got killed on his way by
either people that likes Alexander
then someone else will take his or people that hated him.
• Ignoring the advice that he went • He wants to govern this place, he
from tribe to tribe to put down the doesn’t want to enslave everyone
revolts • But its a HUGE empire and he had
He went around so quickly that 50k people, it was a difficult job to
• run this empire.
people thought he died.
• Having secured his position and • Alexander was also on horseback
comes back to Macedonia. and him and his band were a
group of people what would go
InvasionAgainstPersianEmpire wherever that needed assistance. • That played a large factor and • Died at the age of 31. Partied too
made him a ‘savior’ in the mind of hard looks like it.
the soldiers. • He didn’t leave a will or who
should inherit the throne.
Persepolis • He said ‘when I die you’re gonna
• There was a beautiful library there see games” WTF looking for
that was really important. trouble.
• He burned it to the ground saying
He was also full of fashion
it was revenge for Athens which •
was once burned to the ground. • Very grand and looking afar
• Others said he was just drunk and • He wanted to do something more
did that during a party which went that just mortals
out of hand. • He had a lot of sons
• There was one son that was his
East favorite son
• When the persian king left these • So these men ‘helped’ Alexander’s
people who were nomads and used son to hold power since the child
to being ruled, didn’t care who was too young
ruled. • It was clear that none of these
• Some other tribes in mountainous associates were ever going to give
regions people were less willing to the power to the child.
accept him. • Perdiccas (administrative) and
• It took him 6, 7 or 8 years to Antipater (military) were the co-
conquer them. rulers.
• He married a girl from that region, • While they tried to bring
Roxanne. He also encouraged his