January 7, 2013 they’ll tell you’re not. They’re free
and they don’t need to make any
living and has the freedom to do
whatever they want to do.
• Technology is painfully slow in this • Theres a lot of advancement in
era, there were very few military technology.
• Hellenistic world is a world where
inventions the Greek world is a part of a much
• It wasn’t because they were
stupid, its just the people who wider world.
were gathering evidence had really
little contact with people who did • One aspect that is driven by pure
research (used their minds) research is the world of medicine.
• Healing in Greek is Iatros,
• So the people that question “where
to babies come from” were • Healers were always trying to find
disconnected with people that a spiritual explanation, looking for
were breeding cattle etc. a God thats responsible and stuff,
• Hence there were very little Gods must be displeased and he’ll
bring in a sickness.
applied science that changed the Hippocrates combined all the
world in terms of coming up with •
practical use. medical writing that existed.
• Upper class didn’t like to do ANY • He presented a whole theory of
labour for PROFIT. You can do a lot how healing works, and he
of workout at the gym but you explained WHY things work.
Clearly he didn’t write all of it, and
can’t use time for the sake of •
profit, as it was prejudiced against. everyone knew, he only collected
• Therefore the upper class went but he got credits for it.
through a lot of trouble to prove • The founder of medicine, its a
“I’m only doing this not for profit!” MASSIVE collection of medical
records. Cases and cases of
So nothing was invented from their
research, it wasn’t allowed to be medical records and debates of
applied and used. various healers etc.
• No practical application was ever • He wrote a framework of how
done, it was a shameful thing if healers ought to behave. There
there were social benefits. was a hippocratic oath was th