Major British Authors – Feb 25
Ulysses - Tennyson
- Tennyson’s own need of going forward & braving the struggle of life
- Written under a sense of loss & all had gone by but still must be fought out until the end
- Hero Ulysses – comparisons to Beowulf?
- A couple different kinds of heroes: older-fashioned, romantic hero in Ulysses (and more
concerned with himself & his own glory), Telemachus more focused on the needs of his
community/people (more modern, Victorian hero(?))
- Dramatic Monologue – helps to illuminate the character, single character speaking unmediated
by a narrator, silent but implied audience, type of lyric poem, speech in a specific situation at a
- “Hungry Heart” by Bruce Springstein
- Mid-life crisis?