September 9 , 2013
• Queen Victoria dies modern period starts
• 1914 WW1. Stalemated by death. Natural culmination of scientific progress and
• 1915 DH Lawrence says that this was the real start of the modern era realization
that the war would be lengthily
• 1859 Darwin’s origin of species. Human species is only here temporarily we are
not the natural be all and end all. Evolution is the selfsustained force driving the
universe, not God.
• 1899/1990 Freud’s Interpretation of Dreams. Suggests that the human subject is
defined by its inability to know itself. Our desires define who we are.
• 1888 date of the inventi