Fall 2017

Department
English
Course Code
English 2017
Professor
Nigel Joseph
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Lecture 22
Iron Man
Arms manufacturing
Lead in weapons that America has
Cutting edge of hostile technology
Travel to afghanistan-significant because of much of the success or lack of success
there and the reason of being there is due to the arms race
Injured and constructs a suit
The suit is a symbol for cutting edge technology
One of the issue is who owns the suit --and Iron Man doesn’t want the American
government to own this
Represents debate about weapons
FILM: Iron Man 3
Move away from celebration of technology --always refining technology for it to be better
A critique of the technology
His girlfriend comes home and is talking to his suit and he is working on a new suit in the
basement
The movie is condemning his obsession with technology and his suits and it is clearly
ruining his relationship with his girlfriend
The female protagonist at the end that saves everyone/is strong
She is also in some sense participating in this particularly male fascination with
violence - “i get why you like the suits”
FILM: Avengers
America believes that solitary film is not the solution anymore, you need a team
Headphones
Some people find ppl using headphones as rude
Anti social
We donèt see it as odd in today society bc we have embraced it
The argument against it is that we have evolved to a level of intelligence by talking to
each other (we are a sociable species)
Music can be therapeutic though
To always be listening to music in public is to turn your back on the social world- i would
rather listen to music than speak with you
“Don’t bug me
Symptom of increased isolation and increasing this isolation
Move from public concert to privateness of headphones
Causes harm
Harm to wearer of headphones- lose ability to hear certain sounds, consonants
by self but also death because could be listening and using headphones and be
hit by a car
Can you become ‘autistic through technology’?
Listening Alone
The sight of someone in a private world, swaying or nodding to music only they can hear, cut off
or walled-in by headphones, is increasingly common. How do we respond to the sight? Older
people, with memories of a world of face-to-face encounters still fresh in their minds, often react
with horror and hostility. The person with headphones is a monad, an alienated subject, an
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture 22 Iron Man Arms manufacturing Lead in weapons that America has Cutting edge of hostile technology Travel to afghanistan-significant because of much of the success or lack of success there and the reason of being there is due to the arms race Injured and constructs a suit The suit is a symbol for cutting edge technology One of the issue is who owns the suit --and Iron Man doesnt want the American government to own this Represents debate about weapons FILM: Iron Man 3 Move away from celebration of technology --always refining technology for it to be better A critique of the technology His girlfriend comes home and is talking to his suit and he is working on a new suit in the basement The movie is condemning his obsession with technology and his suits and it is clearly ruining his relationship with his girlfriend The female protagonist at the end that saves everyone/is strong She is also in some sense participating in this particularly male fascination with violence - i get why you like the suits FILM: Avengers America believes that solitary film is not the solution anymore, you need a team Headphones Some people find ppl using headphones as rude Anti social We dont see it as odd in today society bc we have embraced it The argument against it is that we have evolved to a level of intelligence by talking to each other (we are a sociable species) Music can be therapeutic though To always be listening to music in public is to turn your back on the social world- i would rather listen to music than speak with you Dont bug me Symptom of increased isolation and increasing this isolation Move from public concert to privateness of headphones Causes harm Harm to wearer of headphones- lose ability to hear certain sounds, consonants by self but also death because could be listening and using headphones and be hit by a car Can you become autistic through technology? Listening Alone The sight of someone in a private world, swaying or nodding to music only they can hear, cut off or walled-in by headphones, is increasingly common. How do we respond to the sight? Older people, with memories of a world of face-to-face encounters still fresh in their minds, often react with horror and hostility. The person with headphones is a monad, an alienated subject, an
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit