Tuesday, September 21, 201English
“The Horse Dealer’s Daughter” by D.H
- Repetition immediately in the first paragraph “he felt safe himself” Joe.
- “Love is an irrational force which imposes itself on human beings at the most
- Mabel assumes that Jack loves her because he saved her and helped her, doing what a
husband would be expected to do. Jack realizes that he is now obligated to Mabel
because he saved her life.
desultory: Lack of definite plan, jumping from one thing to another
sang-froid: calm detatchment
skivvy: servant girl
fatuously: complacently and unconsciously foolish
immutable: not susceptible to change
penury: state of extreme poverty or destitution
portentous: of momentous/ominous significance
clairvoyant: power to see objects or events that cannot be perceived by the senses
Three Parts in the Horse Dealers Daughter
Part 1: p.2590 - 2594, ending with “In the afternoon she...”
Part 2: p.2594 - 2596, ending with “He laid her down...”
Part 3: p.2596 - 2600
- We see Mabel living in Pervin House, Old Meadow
- Trying to leave her old life behind (she went from being a drudge for her dad to being a
drudge for her brothers)
- They treat her like an animal; refer to her as dog like
- She is “merely dead” not alive in mind, body, and spirit according to Lawrence
- Mabel goes to be with the only person who she ever had affection for (her mom) so she
attempts to kill herself, as her mom is dead.
- Her life has been like a death within life
- You must confront death in order to live life fully. You can’t life life fully until you
recognize your mortality.
- Return to Old Meadow, achieve this higher level of consciousness, a sense of a brighter
- Jack and Mabel become whole man and woman. Tuesday, September 21, 2010 English
Lawrence wrote it in 1916 (right in the middle of WWI) but was published in 1922.
- World War One put the problems in the forefront. Why were we chewing ourselves to
pieces? Men were leaving home to be killed, women staying home.
- Original title of the HDD was “The Miracle” which points to the extraordinary event
that occurs: the religious conversion of Mabel and Dr. Ferguson into Lawrence’s religion
of love. To him, love is a substitute for religion. You find salvation of human beings
Religion of Christianity VS. Religion of Love
- Jesus could cure people by touching them. When Mabel and Jack touch each other,
they are converted to the religion of Love.
- Lawrence was opposed to Christianity, but he took (ap