Class Notes (838,987)
Canada (511,153)
Film Studies (238)
Lecture

The+History+and+Principles+of+Classical+Hollywood+Style.pdf

3 Pages
69 Views
Unlock Document

Department
Film Studies
Course
Film Studies 1020E
Professor
Barbara Bruce
Semester
Spring

Description
The History and Principles of Classical Hollywood Style - in preparation for next week, I want to outline very briefly the history and principles of the Classical Hollywood Cinema (CHC), which is the dominant paradigm of narrative form  “paradigm”: A representative or typical model, [. . .] a set of narrative and stylistic standards which, according to tacit rules, can be adjusted, changed, and/or substituted for one another” - the Classical Hollywood Style developed in the American film industry from early 1900s through the 1920s and into 1930s  as a style, though, it is constantly under revision - what is important is not the rules of the style but the intended effect of those rules:  a clear and coherent narrative action that the trained spectator can follow with minimal effort  the classical style rigidly subordinates time and space to clear narrative action  and the classical style's diegesis creates its own rules of space and time  these rules of space and time can be thought of as illusion, which attempts to absorb us into the diegesis  in other words, we don’t see every minute of a story, nor every location  the filmmakers cut out the unnecessary to create a tight plot  because of the clear and easy classical diegesis, viewers tend to get lost in the story - central to the CHC is the principle of "narrative economy": o the economical style which maximizes our absorption and minimizes distractions—a lean, mean approach to filmmaking - narrative economy is paralleled in production economy, especially during Classical era of studio production from the 1930s through to the 1950s  the studio’s rationalized production (BT Ch. 1) is often compared to a factory assembly line  in fact, the development of the studio system in the 1910s and 20s was based on industrial models developed by Henry Ford  the aim was to streamline production  the system was dependent on coordinated efforts of each member of a large production team (see Ch 1), as well as heavily capitalized system of production, state of the art equipment, skilled workers, & centralized management - the Hollywood studios are typically divided into major and minor (make sure you memorize the studios) o the majors (aka “The Big 5”):  Paramount  Warner Brothers  20th Century Fox  MGM (Metro Goldwyn Mayer)  RKO (Radio-Keith-Orpheum) o the minors:  Columbia Universal United Artists o from 1930-1945, these 8 studios controlled 95% of all films exhibited in the USA and produced 500 films per year o the other 5% was produced by Independent studios (aka Poverty Row studios
More Less

Related notes for Film Studies 1020E

Log In


OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Sign up

Join to view


OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.


Submit