Geography 1100 Lab Introduction:
10% of final grade
• Given coordinates for cross section
• Easting ->
• Northing ^
using 3 digits, no decimals, using 6 digit numbers
• marked out of 100
• contour the practice data set.
• contour the red river map, and the blue sea map. Contouring for each map is worth 10
marks, so 20 total.
• contour the map contour island. You will be given 3 cross sections with 2 points. Find
those 6 digit points on the map
• 1cm=10m in y axis is the scale (height)
• use graph paper 1cm by 1cm.
• given data from the US, construct a map on it worth 30 marks.
• in 2 paragraphs explain your state based on student number. Write a news piece on
what the governor will speak to the news conference. Get point across in 30 seconds.
Overview of Lab
• 250623584 is my student number. We use the last 2 numbers, so 84. Divide that by 2.
So 42 is my state number.
• use 2007 data.
• My state is Alabama.
• Use livability index, rankings in 1997,2007 or from 97 to 07 which ever is best for your
Contouring the maps:
• A contour line goes through the number.
• if the number is between 2 numbers then