EXAM Questions on The Way as a Tourism Metaphor, and Guest Lecture
Lecture 7 & 8 – Time and Opportunity & Tourism as a Business
The Way: as Metaphor
- Watch the film the Way
- Compare its representation to others ex. Here and here
- The Film is about
o Life Meanings
o Spritual Awareness
o Reflect on this ours
Tourism as a Learning
- We don’t choose a life we live it
o The road of life
o Our journey on it
o Its purpose
o Your purpose
- The road as a metaphor
o The travel vs the destination
- If life is about discovery, what does tourism teach us about
o Spaces and places EXAM Questions on The Way as a Tourism Metaphor, and Guest Lecture
o The people we meet
Time and Opportunity
• As a tourist, what do we do while we are away?
• Are there activities that cause you to become a tourist? – Take time to do things
only when we are on vacation
o Things/experiences that you want to share with your friends
• Are there other activities you only enjoy whilst a tourist?
o Example: only smoke or drink while away on vacation, sleep around, etc.
o Don’t have to get up early and go to class, or go anywhere
o Can drink whenever you want (like during the day)
o Try new things while away like heli-skiing/try new food, etc.
This creates a new/temporary habit
o Is the person on vacation the real you, or just an exception from everyday
o What parts are you, and what parts are you just trying out?
• What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas: why?
o Don’t want to share some things that happened because they were
outrageous or damaging to your reputation
• How does our choice of activities affect our tourist behaviour and choices?
o Las Vegas to the full: The Hangover
There are things that happen while you are gone that you are
happy if no one else finds out about you don’t to share these
Want to do the most extreme of surfing
Think that there is nothing better than just surfing all the time
Activities that you are passionate about are things you want to do
more and more EXAM Questions on The Way as a Tourism Metaphor, and Guest Lecture
o Powder Skiing
Fresh powder, sunny day, cool breeze, floating down the hill –