Week 4: Motivation
• What motivates us to go where we go and why?
o Element of romance, something we want to experience more of
o To connect with people
• Why are some spaces and places attractive to some and less appealing to others?
o Personal preferences, ex. Food, location, experience
o Space a golf course, beach, is a space
o Place A destination
Pebble Beach, St. Andrews golf courses
• What are the most popular tourist destinations? Why?
• World tourism rankings 2010
• Travel trends for 2012
o World's most visited countries, according to statistics compiled by the United
Nations World Tourism Organization
2. United States
6. United Kingdom
• 2012 trends – Uganda, Burma, Ukraine, Jordan, Denmark, Switzerland, Taiwan, Cuba
• Are you looking to go to places off the beaten path, or popular destinations
• There are such a variety of things do to in France, this is why is so popular because it
appeals to such a wide spectrum of people with different interests
• Universal o Love Actually
o People travel during the holidays to connect back with family (Christmas &
o Their motivation to travel is to find romance, and connect with people