Monday February 24
Week 8 – Activities
Exam: Sunday April 27
• The take-home exam is issued on the last class and will be due one week after
• There are no office hours in April (after classes are finished)
Time and Opportunity
• What prevents us from going more place and doing more things is time and
• As a tourist, what do we do while we are away?
• Are there activities that cause you to become a tourist?
o eg. you may go on a vacation to play golf (such as in Scotland or Hawaii)
o eg. you may go to Hawaii or another island if you are a surfer
• Are there other activities you only enjoy whilst a tourist?
o There are things we discover about ourselves when we are on vacation
o eg. swimming with stingrays, snorkeling
• What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Why?
o We try things when we’re on vacation that we wouldn’t otherwise do
o eg. you make drink first thing in the morning (something you wouldn’t
o You can do this because: what’s the worst that can happen? You usually
won’t see those people again
o The Hangover: Vegas allows for being able to expose yourself to the
unexpected (there is experimentation and discovery of self)
o If you stay within your comfort zone, it is less of a vacation than if you’re
willing to go out of your comfort zone and extend (eg. bungee jumping,
parasailing, horseback riding…)
• How does our choice of activities affect our tourist behaviour and choices?
Discussion and Reflection
• List 5 activities that inspire you to travel
• List 5 other activities you only enjoy on vacation
• List 5 activities you have yet to try but would like to given the opportunity (eg.
horseback riding on the beach, snorkeling)
• Which of the gateways offer these activities? (eg. Tahiti or Fiji for surfing)
o In your assignment, you could look at a specific hotel that you want to go
to and give a link to it, explaining why (eg. it has a hut on the water that
they bring your food and drinks to)
o If you decide that you want to go to Rio de Janeiro, you would look at the
type of activities they have available for you to do (surfing, Carnaval,
cruises, etc…) • What differentiates one gateway from another in the provision of these activities?
o eg. If you want to go on a safari, there are many choices. First you have
to choose which country, then which organization, then which type of
safari (there are lots of decisions to be made)
• How much does your choice of activities affect your travel choices versus:
o Life stage?
eg. skiing or surfing may suit your interests when you’re younger,
but your interests change when you are ol