Lecture 19 Conventional and Complimentary Medicine
o Symptoms often appear because body’s attempting to heal itself
o Carefully observe symptoms let you identify those signals that suggest
you need professional assistance
Knowing When to See Physician
- See physician for symptoms you describe as
- Emergencies include the following
o Major trauma or injury
o Uncontrollable bleeding
o Intolerable/uncomfortable pain
o Severe shortness of breath
o Persistent abdominal pain
o Poisoning or drug overdose
o Loss of consciousness or seizure
o Stupor, drowsiness, or disorientation
o Severe or worsening reaction to an insect bite or sting or to
- Complementary and Alternative medicine
o Therapies and practices that don’t form part of conventional or
mainstream health care and medical practices as taught in most
Canadian medical schools and offered in most Canadian hospitals
- Most commonly used CAM therapies
o Relaxation techniques
o Herbal medicine
- Consumer turn to CAM for large variety of purposes related to health and
o Usually turn because modern ones aren’t working
o Studies show people with chronic conditions more likely to try CAM
- Practices are controversial and individuals need to be aware of safety issues
o CAM is far more individualized so cant really find evidence that it does
- In Canada, CAM products regulated by Health Canada’s Natural Health
Products division Conventional Medicine
- Premises and assumptions of conventional (standard western) medicine
o Western medicine: belief that disease is caused by identifiable
physical factors and unhealthy lifestyle
o Based on scientific method of obtaining knowledge
Parsimonious (short and sweet)
Providers of Conventional Medicine
- 5 Basic principles of Canada Health act
o Universally available
o Comprehensive services
o Publicly administered
Getting Most out of Medical Care (Questions to ask when looking at internet health
- Who runs for the site? Who pays for the site?
- What is purpose of site?
- Where does the information come from?
- What is the basis of information?
- How is it selected?
- How current is information?
- How does site choose links to other sties?
- What information about you does this site collect and why?
- How does the site manage its in