What is Psychological Health?
IT IS NOT / CANNOT BE:
Normal = close to average
- If ppl seem ³normal´, doesn¶t mean that they have no mental
illnesses or they cant get mentally ill.
Psychosocial diversity is valuable "
"Determined on the basis of symptoms of emotions
#E.g., anxiety, sadness
"Determined from the way ppl look
"The absence of mental sickness
Eg: if someone doesn¶t have a clinical disorder, doesn¶t mean that
they are psychologically healthy.
"The presence of mental illness
- we like this definition b/c it¶s a positive definition
- Also, psychological illnesses are very broad
"Fulfillment of ___________________________
#Maslow¶s Hierarchy of Needs
Described an ideal of mental health
"Studied individuals who lived ³full´ lives
"Advanced a hierarchy of needs in order of urgency
"When urgent needs are satisfied, less urgent needs take less
- Studies show that many creative ppl go through psychological
- what actually is the fact that, we just see famous ppl on TV
publizing these mental problems. In actuality, mental illnesses are
"Those who make it to the top of the needs
"Self-actualized individuals = psychologically healthy indi.
"Characterized by several specific qualities:
$ '&! %!(&
Can We Reach ?
"An ideal to strive for
"Cannot redo the past (e.g., childhood, past experiences, etc.)
"Must concentrate on
', ( %&!
Characteristics of a psychologically Healthy Individual
1) Feel comfortable about themselves; experience the full range of
humanemotions but are not overcome by them
2) Interact with others; are able to give and receive love; have
3) Able to meet the demands of life; respond appropriately to
problems, accept responsibility, establish realistic goals
4) Striking a balance in all aspects of your life sometimes you are
out of balance, but what matters is how we handle it.
X) Important! Resilience""""the ability to recapture a sense of
psychological wellness within a reasonable time after encountering a
Self ±Esteem (SE)
Critical component of psychological wellness
"SE may offset self-destructuve behaviors(e.g.,
unhealthy µfad¶ diets)
Eg: if a obese person has a high level of self-esteem, it it less like;y
to use fad diest to loose weight, which can inturn harm their health.
"SE means finding a balance between your idealized
self and where you are now.
"Foundations of SE can be traced to childhood
"People are eventually responsiblefor enhancing their
Works with SE to ensure psychological health
"Exists when a person consistently shows 3 important traits:
1)A high level of commitment to something or someone
2) A sense of a sense of control
3) Welcome challenge
Many people have a less than optimal level of
"Most of us will either have emotional problems
ourselves or know someone who is experiencing them