Application - Homer
Homer is a 55 year old executive who is feeling very stressed, overwhelmed & "too busy". He has
a BA in business and a large family who pressure him for success. Sole breadwinner for his family.
Homer values a long, healthy life and wants to change his behaviour so he can reduce his stress
and live longer & healthier. He values his job performance, his family, and overall happiness. He
also values money. He is stressed about his age because he is about 1/2 way thru life.
2 Facilitators& 2 barriers re desired beh for your person about KNOWING:
1. Have family meetings where they talk about their feelings
2. Reading the newspaper that talks about how stress affects life - learning
1. Taking on too much responsibility
2. When he was young, his family was always working thus he got this image of always
• He expects that if he performs the beh, he will reduce his stress, increase job performance &
increase life satisfaction.
• He expects that if he doesn't perform the beh, his stress levels will remain the same or increase, &
his job performance and family life satisfaction will decrease
• If he reduces his work load, stress will decrease, then he will have more time for things he likes to
do which will decrease stress further
Facilitators for self-efficacy
• Homer sees someone who has the same work load as him but this man makes time for
exercising and having fun w/ friends and family. This man is very hap