Lecture One: September 13, 2011
- “Memory Palace”
- We’re better at memorizing things visually and spatially.
- Visualize a room and situate the things you want to remember inside (childhood
homes, interesting places you’ve been)
- Doesn’t have to be a room, can be body parts…
Memory: Spatial, Visual
- The more bizarre, funnier the image is, the more likely you’ll remember it.
- We can memorize a terrain better because of our ancestors who had to know where they were
and where things are.
- Good capacity to memorize faces as opposed to other things
Epic Poems of Rajasthan
- Bhapas: person who lives in Rajasthan in India. Society was not changed by colonial people
- Epic poems that are thousands of stanzas long were committed to memory by the bhapas.
- Poems weren’t written down until 1870’s.
- Boys who were taught to read and write were less able to memorize the stanzas