MIT 1200 Lecture “New Media, New War?” March 23, 2011
New Media, New War?
- The politics of friendship: Exhibit A
- “The World of Facebook”
- Facebook is structured around friendship.
- The politics of friendship: Exhibit B
- Liberty, Equality, Fraternity, or Death (French Revolution)
- The politics of friendship: Exhibit C
- We align with certain countries and make other countries our enemies.
- Local Example: Our relationship with Queen’s
- What is the function of media in society?
- What is the function of “new media”? How does it differ from “old media”
(newspapers, radio, film, etc.)
- This kind of friendship works more on the fraternity model. Exclusive clubs.
- It’s was not a free and open society at the beginning; only Harvard students could join.
- You don’t have a choice of how you organize your profile.
- There’s a paranoia and anxiety over whether Facebook’s privacy controls can be trusted.
- Tension over exposure and secrecy, publicity and privacy
- Asking to be advertised to
- Everything you do online is linked via Facebook. Facebook is now the world of your online
- The newsfeed is like a room of chattering acquaintances, but this isn’t the same as having
- What are the differences between sharing your life online or sharing it with a friend?
- Intimacy is inter-subjective; at least two minds engaging each other, it requires more than
- Can Facebook have the capacity for this kind of interaction, or is it only the intimacy of
one, you with your technology?
- Has Facebook degraded friendship?
- Facebook asks you to reduce yourself so that you can be represented through a computer
- Information systems under-represent reality. There’s a gap between what it feels
like to be a person and what it feels like to be a profile.
- Loss of the richness of what it means to be a self.
- What is the function of media in times of war?
- Sue Halpern article “World of War”
- We can’t talk about war without talking about the representation of it.
- Her thesis: The wars that have taken place since 9/11 are wars we do not want to see.
- How does media function in times of war? Two approaches
- 1. Lying and Politics. Politics in the modern age is not about striving towards truth
but the opposite. Politics is about lying. The public realm is not a realm of trut