November 7 Readings/Class Notes – MOS
Human Resources Professionals Association
Trends in HR
– Changing role of the HR professional: moving from a transactional
professional to strategic professional. Many organizations now have a seat
at the table for HR. How the HR pros make sure the goals of the company
are being implemented and successful.
– War for talent: 1,000,000 people with skills shortage. Make sure that the
best talent for a company is recruited “our people make our company”
– Healthy workplace: wellness, work-like balance. A lot of focus in the
workplace to retain employees and make sure they have the benefits that
they need – Gen Y's – work-life balance. Different interests of people and
how the company manages them. Certain companies have certain policies
that work for the company eg. Gaming company allows people to come in
when they want, as long as they put in enough hours.
– diverse workforce
– impact of technology – screening, online applications for recruitment and
– leadership development/succession planning – task to make sure the
workers from within are growing and staying within the company. Develop
successful planning for the future.
– Largest HR Association in Canada
– Regulates the HR profession in Ontario
– Grants and administers the CHRP designation
– Has more than 20,000 members across 28 chapters in Ontario
What is Important about the CHRP designation?
– Signifies that the HR professional is competent, committed, and current.
– HR courses every year to make sure the person is up to date
1. Academic requirement
– Academic route
– 9 courses – 70% overall, no less than 65%
2. The Membership Requirement
3. Exam Requirement – National Knowledge Exam (NKE)
4. Experience Requirement – 3 years of HR experience at the professional level
5. Degree requirement
*CHRP Candidate Status
Why Join HRPA?
Career Management – Hire authority online job board
– job postings – 500/month
– resume bank – 12k resumes
– free co-op and volunteer opportunities
Info Services and Publications
– legal and knowledge centre
– online resource centre
– customized research etc.
– annual conference
Member Savings: discounts
Training and Development – they key is retention.
– mentoring, on-the-job training, e-learning.
– Social technology, gamifiication – software to earn points
– Leadership development, succession planning: planning for successors in
key positions of the organization – eg. Not just managers, could be frontline
workers. Not just retirement; it is also day to day. Identifying the key people
in the organization who can fill these organization – either look internally or
Orientation, Training and Development
Scope of Training and Development
Training: acquiring skills, behaviours, and abilities to perform current w