Philosophy
Course
Philosophy 1020
Professor
John Thorp
Semester
Fall

Description
Part II Epistemology LECTURE NINE: PLATO: Anamnesis A. Epistemology: some general points  Episteme= knowledge  Logos=  Sample Issues… o What is the difference between knowledge and belief? o Can we ever be utterly, 100%, certain that something is true? o What makes memory images memory images? o What makes a sentence true (or false)? o What is the status of scientific laws? How certain are they? o Given that all experience is private (remember Sarah and the GOS!), how do we achieve public knowledge? o Does the world out there resemble my impressions of it? B. Plato and anamnesis 0. Historical Matters a) The great trio: Socrates(469- 399 BCPlato(429-347 BCEAristotle(384-322 BCE)  Socrates o “Barefoot in Athens” (walked around Athens barefoot) o Questioner: ask questions to his students o Conversations; did not write anything o Tried for (charged) “importing new gods” and “corrupting the youth”; executed in 399 BCE  Plato o Began by writing down the remembered conversations of Socrates (for of Plato’s writing was dialogue) o Fine Greek Stylist o Founded a school called “The Academy” (hence Academic) o Theory of Forms o Socratic Question: in Plato’s dialogue the main speaker is (almost) always Socrates  Aristotle o Great interest in all of natural science, especially biology o Hugely diverse interest, foundational in many disciplines o Somewhat the antithesis of Plato (rejecting) o Founded a rival school, the Lyceum (high school) b) The "Socratic Question" 1. The puzzle about abstract ideas a) Equal sticks o Where do abstract ideas come from? o Ex. Have an idea of absolute perfect equality… but where does it come from? b) Triangle o Any triangle I see will I have certain measurements or type
More Less

Related notes for Philosophy 1020

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit