Philosophy
Course
Philosophy 1020
Professor
John Thorp
Semester
Fall

Description
21. Locke on the self (aka 'personal identity') (November 22 2011) 0. Preliminary matter: two kinds of identity a) synchronic b) diachronic (spatiotemporal continuity) 1. The question of personal (diachronic) identity a person is a "thinking intelligent being, that has reason and reflection, and can consider itself as itself, the same thinking thing in different times and places…." a) continuity of consciousness is what constitutes personal identity a problem: interruption of consciousness b) immaterial substances problem: transmigration of souls c) Locke's solution: the identity of an interrupted consciousness is given by memory – the memory link problem: amnesia "Suppose I wholly lose the memory of some parts of my life, beyond a possibility of retrieving them, so that perhaps I shall never be conscious of them again; yet am I not the same person that did those actions, had those thoughts that I once was conscious of, though I have now forgot them?" Locke's answer: in that case I would be the same man as I was before, but I would not be the same pe
More Less

Related notes for Philosophy 1020

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit