Canada (492,428)
Philosophy (1,278)
John Thorp (153)

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Western University
Philosophy 1020
John Thorp

9. Descartes' Rationalism (October 9, 2012) What is the status of scientific laws, how certain are they? Given all experience is private, how do we achieve public knowledge? What makes memory images, memory images? Does the world out there resemble my impressions of it? Are there biases that outline our understanding of the world? 0. Historical and biographical matters One of the most famous philosophical texts of all time: An accomplished scientist and mathematician, often called the father of modern philosophy Interested in the nature of science and in the method of science, a period of great intellectual confusion Descartes’ Meditations on First Philosophy were published in Latin in 1641; also published in French after (people started moving away from using Latin as common language in Europe and people started to write in their own languages) 1. The project: Descartes’ project was to pull down the degenerate edifice of knowledge and then rebuild it on firmer foundations, on foundations of certainty (everybody agree on what is absolutely certain) “cleaning the Augean stables” – destroy the foundation and start anew. (One of the great labourers of King Augean was Hercules. Had 3000 cattle kept in stable. Stable was not cleaned for 30 years. Made Hercules clean the stable in one day. Opened the doors in the front and made an exit door in the back, led river through the stables to clean it and start again.) 2. The Method of Doubt: “methodological skepticism” doubt everything which can be doubted – using the highest possible standards, and see if there is anything which cannot be doubted a) memory - much of what I “know” is based on memory, however memory is often false. I should not trust any knowledge based on memory, therefore I should not trust a great deal of what I know. b) sense-perception - there are sensory illusions. Eg. looking at a square tower from a distance makes it look round. - there are dreams. Seems like real life, even though they are not real sensations. - there is madness. It seems that all sensory “knowledge” of the material (corporeal) world should be doubted. c) mathematics - maybe God who is omnipotent is deceiving me. Eg. God is making me think that 2+3=5 although it may not be true. Everytime I do a math problem, God makes me think I am getting the correct answer each time. d) postulation of the Evil Genius - but that would be impossible since a good God would not be a deceiver. - perhaps there is a “malicious demon” of the utmost power and cunning who employs all his energy and skill to deceive me in everything. - The s
More Less

Related notes for Philosophy 1020

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.