Canada (492,560)
Philosophy (1,278)
John Thorp (153)

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Western University
Philosophy 1020
John Thorp

Epistemology October-09-12 Sample issues:  What is the difference between knowledge and belief?  Can we ever be utterly, 100%, certain that something is true?  What makes memory images memory images?  What makes a sentence true or false?  What is the status of scientific laws? How certain are they?  Given that all experience is private (remember Sarah and GOS), how do we achieve public knowledge?  Does the world out there resemble my impressions of it?  Are there biases that operate in our understanding of the world? Descartes' Rationalism  Rene Descartes 1596-1650  Wrote one of the most famous philosophical texts of all time  Accomplished scientist and mathematician  Often called the father of modern philosophy  Interested in the nature of science and in the science of vision and in the method of science  He wrote during a period of great intellectual confusion o Descartes' Meditations on First Philosophy were published in Latin, later in French 1. The Project  Descartes project was to pull down the "edifice of knowledge"  And then build it up again on sure foundations, on foundations of certainty  "cleaning the Augean stables" = mythology, Hercules had to clean a stable that hadn't been cleaned in 30 years in one day, cleaned by having two rivers flow through the stable o Descartes wanted to do the same, great ride of everything and start completely over 2. Method of Doubt  "methodological skepticism"  Doubt everything which can be doubted using the highest possible standards, get rid of it  And see if there is anything which cannot be doubted a. Memory- much of what I know is based on memory o But memory is often false o So I shouldn't trust any knowledge based on memory b. Sense-perception o But there are sensory illusions o There are dreams, we don't know that we're dreaming o There is madness, people who see/ hear thing
More Less

Related notes for Philosophy 1020

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.