Questions To Ask
How does science differ from religion and philosophy?
Is science always objective?
Aims? Sources of knowledge? Methodology?
To describe, predict and explain the occurrence of:
o Observable phenomena or matters of fact
Sources of knowledge?
Universal human reason
Religion relies on all four of these domains
Philosophy relies on reason and experience.
Science relies on reason and experience
Religion and science both rely on reason and experience so how do they differ? How do they differ in
The Scientific Method
1. Inductive: inferring general laws from particular instances
2. Empirical: relying on observation to draw conclusions about the world, as opposed to assumptions
3. Systematic: designing carefully controlled studies or experiences, controlling for as many variables
4. Replication: methodology is transparent allowing other science to repeat the experience
5. Falsifiable: hypotheses that can be systematically rested and replicated with empirical methods
and potentially refuted
6. Objective: not influenced by personal feelings, opinions, beliefs, or expectations in considering
and representing facts
Science and Objecti