Philosophy
Course
Philosophy 1020
Professor
John Thorp
Semester
Fall

Description
Truth October-30-12 The correspondence theory (today) The coherence theory (Thursday) The pragmatic theory (tutorial) Biographical Matters Bertrand Russell 1872-1970  Our question: we're not talking about truth in the sense of giving a list of which beliefs are true o We're asking what is it for a belief to be true, in what does truth consist?  Simple answer: Obviously, for a belief to be true is for it to correspond to reality o For example: my belief that 'the monkey is on the carpet' is true if and only if the monkey is on the carpet. o Problem is neither words nor pictures of a monkey on a carpet proves the monkey is on the carpet, monkey actually has to be on the carpet  Russell thinks this through:  In my mind there is an idea of a monkey, an idea of a carpet, and idea of spatial relationship between monkey and carpet  If this belief is true in the outside world there is a real monkey, a real carpet and a real spatial relationship between monkey and carpet  What exactly is it that is true of false here? o We've been talking about 'my belief' being true or false. But of course 'my belief' needs to be true or false in the real world o Because my belief is a private, internal thing belong to me, one of the contents of my mind. o But that private thing is true only if a public thing, the belief, is true o Otherwise we're into a world of extreme relativism about truth Propositions & States of Affairs  Technical language : The monkey is on the carpet, le singe est sur le tapis, etc.  These different sentences all express one and same proposition. Ultimately it is the proposition that is true or false, not how you say it  The belief is the same thing as the proposition  Notice that a proposition is not a thing out there in the physical world, nor does it exist just in my mind. Let’s say it is in the 'ideal world' Mi
More Less

Related notes for Philosophy 1020

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit