Philosophy
Course
Philosophy 1020
Professor
John Thorp
Semester
Fall

Description
15. The Correspondence Theory of Truth Bertrand Russell (1872-1970) 0. Historical and Biographical Matters. 1. Our question: not what is true? but: in what does truth consist?  We‟re not talking about truth in the sense of giving list of what beliefs are true  Were asking what it is for a belief to be true, in what does truth exist 2. The simple answer: correspondence.  Obviously, for a belief to be true, it has to correspond to reality  Obviously, that is correct  For example: o My belief that; „the monkey is on the carpet‟ is true , IF, the monkey IS on the carpet  For example (less silly) o My belief that „the monkey is on the carpet‟ if and only if: *picture of monkey on carpet* using pictures o But even this doesn‟t quite seem right- these are just pictures of monkeys and carpets  For example o My belief that „the monkey is on the carpet‟ is true if and only if *places monkey on a carpet‟ o That is, my belief is true if and only if it CORRESPONDS in the outside world o Outside world = extra-noetic, extra-linguistic  Russell thinks though: o My mind: o –idea of monkey o – idea of caroet o – idea of spatial relaitionship between monkey and carpet o Outside world o –real monkey o –real carpet o –real relationship between monkey and carpet  What exactly is it that is true or false here o But of course „my belief‟ is true (or false) only if the belief is true (or false)  My belief is a private, internal thing, belonging to me, one of the contents of my mind  But that private thing is true only if a public thing – the belief – is true  (otherwise were into a world of extreme relativism about truth)  So the belief needs to be true 3. Two problems: a) Correspondence between what and what? i) Beliefs and reality (refinements needed) ii) Propositions & states of affairs -the monkey is on the carpet -the simian is on the mat -le singe est sur le tapis -der affe sitzt auf dem teppich La scimmia e sul tappet  The proposition is represented in each sentence Propositions  That which is common to a number of different sets of words used to express it  These sentences can only be true if the proposition lies beyond them (is the base)  The ultimate barer of truth, is the proposition  Ultimately what is true, is the proposition.  Sentence is true ONLY IF the corresponding proposition is true  The belief = the proposition  Not just in the physical mind, nor does it just exist in my mind  Lets say ; it‟s the “ideal world” Mind (private world that
More Less

Related notes for Philosophy 1020

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit