Philosophy
Course
Philosophy 1020
Professor
John Thorp
Semester
Fall

Description
15. The Correspondence Theory of Truth 0. Historical and Biographical Matters. • Bertrand Russell (1872­1970) o Why I am not a Christian 1. Our question: not what is true? But: in what does truth consist? Notice here:  • We’re not talking about truth in the sense of giving a list of which beliefs are true  – we’re asking what it is for a belief to be true, in what does truth consist? Analyzing what the concept of truth is  2. The simple answer: correspondence.  For a belief to be true is for it to correspond to reality. 3. Two problems: a) Correspondence between what and what? i) Beliefs and reality (refinements needed) • My belief that: o “The monkey is on the carpet”  Is true  If an only if  The monkey is on the carpet • My mind o Idea of monkey o Idea of carpet o Idea of spatial relationship between monkey and  carpet • Outside world o Real monkey o Real carpet o Real spatial relationship between monkey and  carpet • We’ve been talking about ‘my belief being true or false. • But of course ‘my belief ‘ is true (or false only if the belief is true (or false) • My belief is a private, internal thing, belonging to me, one of the contents of my  mind • But that private thing is true only if a public thing ­ the belief ­ is true. • (Otherwise we’re into a world of extreme relativism about truth) ii) Propositions & states of affairs a) Propositions Let’s get on top of some technical language here: • The monkey is on the carpet • The simian is on the mat • Le singe est sure le tapis • Der Affe sitzt auf dem Teepich • La scimmia e sul tappeto Represented within the sentence (or any one of the sentences) These five different sentences all express one and the same proposition. Ultimately it is the proposition that is true or false. Your sentence or my sentence, your belief or my belief, is true only because the  proposition is true. And notice that a proposition is not a thing out there in the physical world, nor does it just  exist in my mind, unlike your own personal beliefs. It is public – shared.  Mind Ideal World (?) Physical World My belief (private world) The belief Monkey The proposition Carpet b) States of affai
More Less

Related notes for Philosophy 1020

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit