Tutorial

1 Page

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
Philosophy 1020
Professor
John Thorp

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full page of the document.
Description
Tutorial 14 October 2011 - John Locke - there are ideas, truth, or concepts that all people know - therefore, there are mate ideas, truth, or concepts - we learn from experience (we are born with a blank slate = tabula rasa) - Descartes says we are already born with knowledge Book I, Chapter I: - problems with a rationalist position - the innate ideas don't exist - children and idiots do not know all innate truths (however they should know it): - recollection, someone just needs to remind them of it (Descartes) - response: if they are born with the knowledge, they shouldn’t need to recollect it - if something is in the understanding, you must know it - not universal to everyone - everyone may know what something is, but others were not born knowing it The Law of non-contradiction: - "This sentence is fals
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit