Philosophy
Course
Philosophy 1020
Professor
John Thorp
Semester
Fall

Description
Truth 25 October 2011 The correspondence theory The coherence theory The pragmatic theory 13. The Correspondence Theory of Truth (October 25, 2011) 0. Historical and Biographical Matters. - Bertand Russell (1872-1970), British - easy reader 1. Our question: not what is true? but: in what does truth consist? - Notice here: we're not talking about truth in the sense of giving a list of which beliefs are true--we are asking what is for a belief to be true, in what does truth consist? 2. The simple answer: correspondence. But correspondence between what and what? - what is it for a belief to be true? - for a belief to be true is for it to correspond to reality - well, what a stupid question For example: - my belief that the 'monkey is on the carpet' is true if and only if the monkey is on the carpet - that is, my belief is true if and only if it corresponds to the state of things in the outside world - outside world = extra-notice, extra-linguistic - i.e. outside mind and language Russell thinks this through: my mind: - idea of a monkey - idea of carpet - idea of spatial relationship between money and carpet outside world: - no ideas, what is real - what exactly is it that is true or false here? - we've been talking about 'my belief' being true of false - but of course 'my belief' is true (or false) - my belief is a private, internal thing, belonging to me, one of the contents of my mind - but that private thing is true only if a public thing -- the belief -- is true 3. Propositions Let's get on top of some technical language here: - the simian is on the mat - the monkey is on the carpet - le singe est sur le tapis - der affe sitzt auf dem teppich (they all mean the same thing) - they all express one and the same proposition - ultimately it is the proposition that is true or false - your sentence or my sentence, your
More Less

Related notes for Philosophy 1020

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit