Physiology
Course
Physiology 1021
Professor
Doug Hazlewood
Semester
Fall

Description
Dietary and Nutritional Assessment: Lecture 5 Midterm – mostly MC, covers up to lect 5, case study questions, calculator req’d, 2 hours, classroom or the auditorium (watch out for OWL), ask about symptoms referring to specific diseases / class notes Review Lecture 4 slides: #79 Abdominal quadrants #80 Overview of the GI tract and related conditions Lecture 5: Anthropometry & Body Composition Data  Advantages  Limitations o Human errors o Calibration o Standardization of the protocol? o Interpretation of the parameters o Ethnic variations o Familial variations o Environmental o Inaccuracy of self-reporting, i.e. underestimation of BMI  Eva of body size / wt / proportions  Calculations  Comparison of data over time (e.g. height of a child at year 3 to year 5) o Rate of growth (ht / wt) o Estimate nutritional adequacy Height  Stunting (short status) o May reflect LT malnutrition o Ht is not easily affected as wt does  Can be measured using statiometer  Frankfurt plane  Parallax (being at eye-level when measuring the height of the person) may occur if not in line with the person’s eye level  Recumbent (i.e. lying down flat)  Indirect measurements o For patients who have difficulty standing (i.e. bed/chair-bound, ICU, paralysis)  Knee height Weight  Wasting o May reflect recent, ST malnutrition or dehydration  CBW (current body weight)  UBW (usual body weight)  IBW (ideal body weight) Knee height  We use the left knee  Calculations -> do not have to memorize this formula Arm span Systematic bias or Systematic error if the instrument (e.g. balance) has not been calibrated (so the results are reproducible but not correct) Head circumference  In case of severe malnutrition, very small head circumference Visceral fat stores (in abdominal region and around organs) vs. Subcutaneous fat store Greater the waist circumference, the greater the risk of getting heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure/hypertension  Types of obesity Wrist circumference  Measure the smallest frame of one’s wrist, determine if the person has a generally small body frame or medium / large body frame Ignore elbow breadth -> gender specific and height specific Evaluation of th
More Less

Related notes for Physiology 1021

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit