Political Science 2231E Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Canadian International Development Agency
19 views5 pages
For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
Lecture 10: North-South Issues, Development and Development Assistance
- One baby dies every 1 minute from tetanus, virtually every one of them needlessly.
- Tetanus kills 600,000 people every year.
- Measles kills 3 million kids every year. A vaccine for measles has been available since the mid-
1960s. Close to 80% of children are immunized.
- Polio has been eradicated in the Western Hemisphere. Yet 150 000 children are still crippled by it
- 250,000 children are blinded every year because of lack of Vitamin A. Taking a 2 cent
Vitamin A capsule three times a year would prevent this deficiency. Or by eating small
amounts of leafy green vegetables.
- In India, 53% of children are underweight and 21% are severely underweight for their age.
In India, 63% of women are illiterate. And 59% of married women in their child-bearing
years do not practice birth control .
- In India, research suggests that for every thousand girls given (1?) extra year of education,
two maternal deaths, 43 infant deaths, and 300 births are averted
- How many people die every year from diarrhea-related diseases?
o 4.5 million
o 1 million
o 800 million
o Most cases can be treated with cheap oral rehydration salts
What is Development?
- The „Basic Needs” of the poor include:
o clean water
o good nutrition
o primary education.
- 3.575 million people die each year from water-related disease.
- A Canadian taking a 5-minute shower uses more water than a typical person in a developing
country slum uses in a whole day.
What are some basic rights regarding nutrition
- In round numbers there are 7 billion people in the world. Thus, with an estimated 925 million
hungry people in the world, 13.1 percent, or almost 1 in 7 people are hungry.
- The „ Green Revolution‟ helped increase the world‟s food supply due to fertilizers, plant
breeding, and irrigation.
- What province has the world‟s largest deposit of the most important ingredient in fertilizer?
Saskatchewan has the most potash.
- In the most wretched countries for every 1,000 births, there are 100 to 150 deaths in the 2008 year
and an additional 100 to 150 deaths before age five.
- Because of the extremely high death rates for infants and young children, 50% to 60% of all
deaths in the „poorest developing countries‟ occur before the age of 5, as compared to about 3%
in the U.S., where about 90% of deaths occur after age 45.
What is Development? Development Assistance? We will learn a lot more about development
& assistance in Tutorial 10. Here is some background on Canada’s Development Assistance.
- CIDA: The Canadian International Development Agency is the federal government agency
responsible for implementing Canada‟s Official Development Assistance (ODA) policies and
administering most of the ODA budget. CIDA used to report directly to the Department of
Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT) and the Minister of Foreign Affairs. Now CIDA
reports to the Minister for International Cooperation, not the Department of Foreign Affairs.
- CIDA was established in 1968. Its activities are carried out on almost every continent.
- It is one of Canada’s ‘instruments of foreign policy’ in an increasingly interdependent
- If you are interested in a career in CIDA, go to their website embedded in this CIDA report
- CIDA‟s headquarters are in Gatineau (Hull), Quebec. This fact is not explained on any of their
websites. But it will impact you if you work for CIDA.