Lecture 1: Course Introduction
Dr. William Fisher
-It all started with pornography , he viewed lots of porn and this is what got him interested in the field.
“People with the most negative emotional response to porn…. Had the most children” – true
1. SEXUAL EMOTIONS
-emotions that people have toward sexual material is very intense, characteristic, and everyone has a
different view. Some may view is negatively and some may view it positively.
2. CONTRACEPTION IS HARD TO DO:
-contraception means using protection while performing sexual activity, and this is hard.
- First we have to learn about contraception, then we have to anticipate intercourse (will today be the
- then we have to acquire contraception 9going to gas station to buy condoms)
- Then we have to communicate with partner about the use of contraception
-and we have to be consistent with the use of contraception.
3. SEXUAL EMOTIONS DRIVE SELECTIVE USE OR AVOIDANCE OF CONTRACEPTION
-people who have a negative emotion towards sex/porn are less likely to know about contraception and
less likely to get it.
Dr. Fisher arrival on campus
There was a high rise of pregnancy on campus and Dr.Fisher had to do something about this. So there
was a CAMPUS WIDE INTERVENTION created.
-disinhibit negative emotions towards use of contraceptives