Psychology 1000 Lecture 6: Chapter 6

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYCH 1000
Professor
Lynda Hutchinson
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-3. to view the full 14 pages of the document.
Chapter 6: States of Consciousness (p. 206)
-
- !"#$ %&$ '$
o#('
-&&)*+&,-.''&)
o &
The Puzzle of Consciousness
- Consciousness/011
o"# 23  )&(&&+&)$ &
o&1''245+'#'+#&
6',.#&  #7'
o16#28220&(99::

o;#& #!#2<#%5
Measuring States of Consciousness
-1 +  $ 
o'"#$ /'
-=&' & 
o>2'2>>?'#& '
o3"#+ )"#$ 
-@ (2'2'
o3"#+"#
Levels of Consciousness: Psychodynamic and Cognitive Perspectives
-<0
oA'+  #+&  #
o=B+#2'2&)+&(
')'&
oC'&#
2'2 '7'##$7''+#+'
#6( &$&+'+'##
-'+'#7 && &'% 6'2'2 + 1
 #+  #+
The Cognitive Unconscious
-'# &'"&##'76%7B &
# ' 
Controlled vs automac processing
- controlled (eorul processing)&!#*
o2'2''+#'+& ' &!#+ #(#
- automac processing !*
o22#(+
-'& $('5 #
-# ''0&  %*'6$
-# ''01(' ,('.  
oD'@,)(#.
Divided aenon
- Divided aenon& #&#&# '
o>2'2((+EF

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

o;+ &&'!#
o8G(H2'2'I +,'.
oJ'#0  &'2'2$$ '+##
The Emotional Unconscious
- &&1 ''#'+###6
&+7')$ 
o>2'2+  (+5
o>2'2'&K@6&&
o>2'2A@'+ILLL&+ # +
The Modular Mind
-<0',#&.+# #'
oJ( (#+  #+& '+#++
2
;  '+  
-"#$ B'#&2'2+&'
o20&'*20*
2IL
-Consciousness refers to our moment-to-moment awareness of ourselves and the environment. It is subjecve, dynamic, self-reecve,
and central to our sense of identy. Selecve aenon focuses conscious awareness on some smuli to the exclusion of others.
-Sciensts use self-report physiological, and behavioural measures to operaonally de"ne states of consciousness.
-Freud believed that the mind has conscious, preconscious, and unconscious levels. He viewed the unconscious as a reservoir of
unacceptable desires and repressed experiences. Cognive psychologists view the unconscious as an informaon-processing system.
-Controlled processing typically is required for learning new tasks. Automac processing makes divided aenon possible, enabling us to
perform several tasks at once. Research on subliminal percepon and other topics suggests that emoonal and movaonal processes
also can operate nonconsciously and inuence behaviour.
-Many theorists propose that the mind consists of separate but interacng informaon processing modules. Our subjecve experience of
“unitary” consciousness arises from the integrated output of these modules.
Circadian Rhythms: Our Daily Biological Clock
->&I ++&#'&'*#'
'(( &&circadian rhythm
Keeping Time: Brain and Environment
-AM'&superchiasmac nuclei (SCN) & B)(
oE 
o?#& '&#&7#&
o(#& '+melatonin$'*&
o#&+ '#+'& %
->( AJI
o>&#AJ20'&AJ#&+(
o;AJ5'&I2II2NB'&
A$'+''&%'B  
>22NJ8$<
Early Birds and Night Owls
->& ('
Environmental Disruptions of Circadian Rhythms
-?7' AM
- Seasonal aecve disorder (SAD)B&& &'& '&
o& 7&'+5 '
>$ 0AM*#'20( # &

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

-O'6&'#-&
oA++  
oE'''& #1'&
o@&&"7&
-J'5(+ 
o''(
o3*1&(&1' #&+ #'AM"
-IP'(  
Psychological Applications: Combatting Winter Depression, Jet Lag, and Night Shiftwork Disruptions
- Controlling Exposure to Light
oTreang SAD
= &  &#$ '#/'
A5AMI1 &
#''&
20' *
oReducing Jet Lag
<&'+20''%'
<&'+#20''%''57'
oAdjusng to Nightwork
8&*
@''(
(H
oMelatonin Treatment: Uses and Cauons
A5AML1PL7&
J'A  #%C 
E&'
oRegulang Acvity Schedules
>$('& 
2I
-Circadian rhythms are 24-hour biological cycles that help regulate many bodily processes. The suprachiasmac nuclei (SCN) are the
brain’s master circadian clock. Environmental factors such as the day-night cycle, help to reset our daily clocks to a 24-hour schedule.
-Circadian rhythms inuence whether we are a “morning person” or a “night person”
-Seasonal a5ecve disorder (SAD), jet lag, and night shi7work involve environmental disrupons of circadian rhythms. Treatments for
circadian disrupons include controlling exposure to light, oral melatonin, and regulang daily acvity schedules.
Sleep and Dreaming
-AM' &+'Q 
Stages of Sleep
->&L +&'' &' 
->>?#& !beta waves(7+R1L + 
oM$7&alpha wavesNI 
Stage 1 through Stage 4
-'
o@1 !' '2RS2R 
o' &(
o<
o;'+&"(
-'I
o  I 1#&IR 
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version