Psychology 1000 Lecture Notes - Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, Stress (Biology), Sympathetic Nervous System

45 views9 pages
abdullah32 and 39352 others unlocked
PSYCH 1000 Full Course Notes
PSYCH 1000 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
111 documents

Document Summary

Stressors = stimuli/events in environment that place demands on us. Example: i have too much stress in my life right now . Example: i"m feeling stressed out : person situation interaction. Stress is a pattern of cognitive appraisals, physiological responses and behavioural tendencies. Occurs in response to a perceived imbalance between situation and resources needed to cope. Place demands on well-being and require us to adapt: microstressors. Example: natural disasters, war: major negative events. Example: victim of major crime, abuse, death of loved one. Meaningful stressful life events: life events scale. Quantify stress over a given period of time. Stress response: how we appraise" situations. Personal meaning: what does the outcome imply. World: distortions/mistaken appraisals can occur at any level. Example: important job interview: primary appraisal (demands) Depends on how difficult it will be. Significance how badly do you want/need the job: secondary appraisal. Perceived ability to cope with the situation. Knowledge, abilities, verbal skills, social responses: consequences.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers