Psychology 1000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Central Tendency, Frequency Distribution, Standard Deviation
13 views2 pages
- Central Tendency
Next Time: Review
Read: Chapter 1-4 + Appendix
1) How do statistics help us understand data?
2) How do you calculate measures of central tendency?
3) What does variance mean?
- Statistics are a way to simplify distributions
- Simplify with a few numbers (Statistics)
Mean (); M
- add up numbers and divide by N (the number of students)
- middle number in the distribution
- n + 1 / 2
- take two middle numbers and divide by 2
- most frequent score
- Easy to identify from frequency distribution
~ MDN ~ MODE
- If the three numbers are close to each other than there will be a bell curve shape