Psychology
Course
Psychology 1000
Professor
Erica Lawson
Semester
Winter

Description
My Thoughts on the Columbine Shooting Video In response to the Columbine Shooting video, I believe that each one of the psychological perspectives discussed in chapter 1 played a role in the violent and aggressive behaviour of the shooters. First of all, the biological perspective is one of the major perspectives in psychology and focuses on the idea that behaviors have biological causes. The biological approach studies behaviour by focusing on things like the effects of child abuse on future actions, how head injuries can affect behaviour, and most importantly whether or not genetics can explain criminal behaviour. The biological perspective emphasizes the role of the brain, and biochemical factors and hormones that can influence ones behaviour and actions. When looking at the Columbine Shooting it is clearly evident that Dylan and Eric had an inclination to perform violent and aggressive actions. This type of behaviour can be influenced by an imbalance in certain hormones or biochemical's which in turn caused them to display aggressive and violent behaviours. For example, adrenalin can be described as the aggression hormone and an increased production of adrenalin can cause rage, violence, and aggression. It has also been found that too low a level of cholesterol can cause aggressive behaviour as well. There is a good possibility that the criminals had an increased production of these hormones or other aggression hormones and that is one of the factors that led to their violent actions. Another factor that we can consider is if either one of the shooters had experienced any form of child abuse (physical, emotional, sexual, neglect, bullying, etc) earlier on in life. There have been many studies done that reveal that individuals who are subjected to any form of abuse as children are most likely to connect to violent and aggressive behaviours later on in life. Therefore, it is a reasonable assumption to make that the violent actions of Dylan and Eric could have also been caused by any previous experiences of abuse. The psychodynamic perspective searches for the causes of behaviour within the inner workings of our personality, emphasizing the role of unconscious processes and unresolved conflicts from the past. A psychodynamic perspective focuses on the idea that experiences, often in childhood, shaped who people are and how they think today. In Dylan and Eric's situation, it is possible that this aggressive behaviour came from some sort of traumatic experiences which they experienced much earlier on in life. Dylan and Eric may have experienced some sort of abuse or parental rejection as a child and that influenced their decision to take the lives of many innocent people. Dylan and Eric may not have known about these experiences and it was their unconscious which caused these individuals to commit the violent acts that they did. The cognitive perspective of psychology focuses on studying mental processes. It basically studies how individuals encode, process, store, and retrieve information and how this information is used to reason and solve problems. The cognitive processes that go on inside your head are what allow i
More Less

Related notes for Psychology 1000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit