Psychology 1000 (2,406)
Dr.Mike (1,197)
Lecture 9

Psychology 1000 Lecture 9: October 11 psych lec

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Western University
Psychology 1000

Psychology 1000 October 11, 2016 Genetics ➢ Heritability Questions to be Answered: How do I estimate heritability? ➢ Genetic base of intelligence Is intelligence heritable? ➢ Genetic disorders What is the cause of genetic disorders? Next time: Evolution and Behaviour Scan: Finish Chapter 4 Consider: - Hair colour in Inuit (hair colour is all black)- h2= 0, because there is not variability Note: ✓ H2 increases as genetic diversity increases ✓ H2 decreases as environmental diversity increases Heritability of Intelligence: Notion seems reasonable • Oskar Stohr and Jack Yufe- separated at birth. Both of them were so similar when they met. They are so similar, there must be a genetic contribution. • Family relationship studies- Twin studies use this Identical twins= 100% Fraternal twins= 50% Parent, sibling= 50% Grandparent, aunt, uncle= 25% 1 cousin= 12.5% Galton: Hereditary Genius o 1869 relatives of intelligent people… also intelligent o adopted sons were not o measures simple motor and sensory abilities o believes that intelligence was unitary/one thing only (mental quickness) o develops correlation coefficient o results disappointing- the correlations for measured intelligence between intelligent people and their biological kids were not as strong as he thought Sir Cyril Burt: o large scale study of twins reared apart o intelligence is highly heritable o reports h2 approaching 1.0 o came up with the idea of streaming- he can measure who’s intelligent or who isn’t o problem with his work= he lied, he made up his work Bouchard’s Twin Studies (best study): o looks are heritability by looking at twins that were separated, he then brings them back, tests their intelligence o identical twins, apart the correlation= 0.72 o identical twins, together correlation= 0.86 o fraternal twins, together correlation= 0.60 o siblings, together correlation= 0.47 o adopted sibs, together correlation= 0.34 o same person= 0.87 o h2= 0.72 • not saying that I.Q is genetically determined • Of the observed variability in measured I.Q., we can attribute 72% to genetic factors Scarr and Carter- Saltzman (1979): Important assumption: o No environmental differences for identicals versus fraternals o Looks at identical and fraternal twins, gives them DNA tests to make sure they are identical or fraternal Absolute difference Scores: Cognitive Tests: Identical= 0.68 Fraternal= 0.81 Personality Tests: Identical twins= 0.82 Frater
More Less

Related notes for Psychology 1000

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.