Psychology
Course
Psychology 1000
Professor
Dr.Mike
Semester
Winter

Description
Psychology 1000 Language January 8, 2013 Basic Characteristics Syntax Language Learning Next Time: Problem Solving Scan: P. 332-351  What are the properties of a language?  How does syntax provide meaning to a language?  Is language learned?  “I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant” Language  Anatomy?  You produce language by pushing air up out of your lungs through your vocal cord and you manipulate it with your tongue, lips and nasal cavity Language: Basic Properties  Semanticity  Meaningful: if the sounds don’t mean anything, it isn’t a language  Generativity  Ability to use finite number of words and rules to produce infinite number of sentences  Displacement  Convey information about other times and places  Using tenses to talk about the past and talk about places you’ve never been  Organization  Language is structured  The structure helps language carry meaning  Differs from language to language, but it must be present Sentence – the strangers left Phrase – the strangers Word – the, strangers  Good, unabridged dictionary has about 250,000 to 300,000 words  Student vocabulary: 150,000  Most anything in English can be said with a vocabulary of 850 words  Telephone conversations: 96% of “talk” is made up of 737 words  Correlation word frequency & word length = -0.75  The longer the word is, the less likely you’re going to use it Psychology 1000 Language January 8, 2013 Morpheme – strange, er, s  Meaningful units  Changes things that work under semanticity to change meaning  Changes activity into noun, into plural Phoneme – streynj, (symbol)r, z  Basic units: English 45, Hawaiian: 13 Syntax  Arranging the elements in a “meaningful” way  Proper structure  Importance of Grammar  E.g. The wicked vampire bites the girl  A noun phrase can have an article “The” and a nominal part  The nominal part has a noun “wicked” and an adjective “vampire” Humor  Comes w
More Less

Related notes for Psychology 1000

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit