Psychology 1000 (2,406)
Dr.Mike (1,197)
Lecture 5

Psychology Lecture 5.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Western University
Psychology 1000

Psychology Lecture 5 1. What are some sources of bias in an experiment? 2. What is the basic structure of a neuron? 3. How do neurons work? Within Groups Design  All subjects exposed to all conditions o Potential order effect, watch violence first then non-violence second, creates uncertainty in results  Need to counterbalance Measure Aggression  Self-report  Verbal attack  Physical attack o Give you access to a shock machine after angering you, and see how bad you shock the other person o Given a chance to shock someone that angers you, and measures your aggression  “Safe” attack Threats to Validity  Internal Validity (want this to be high) o Degree to which experiment supports causal conclusion  External Validity o Degree to which results can be generalized  Demand Characteristics o Cues in experiment convey hypothesis to participants o They “help” experimenter o If I figure out what you’re looking for, I’ll help you get it  Makes study inaccurate  Experimenter Expectancy o Experimenter “conveys” hypothesis to participants  Suggests a certain outcome, makes study inaccurate Testing FAQ  What do lab experiments tell us about everyday life?  Doesn’t behavior depend on one’s culture or gender or personality?  What do animal experiments tell us about human behavior?  Is it ethical to experiment on animals? o Make a judgement call, scientific value just as valuable as safety  Is it ethical to experiment on humans? o Have to pass tons of reviews and audits to make sure that the study can happen  How do I figure out whether my study worked or not? o Look at the data, what do the numbers say about the experiment?  Have to use statistics, way of looking at the data to see if study worked The Nervous System 1. Descartes  Stimuli transferred from periphery to brain and reflected back  How? a. Animal Spirits, believed that otherworldly forces made us feel things in certain ways i. Our veins are hollow tubes filled with an ethereal gas  Importa
More Less

Related notes for Psychology 1000

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.